20 Questions to Ask Your Builder Before You Buy
March 12, 2020
- How long has your company been in business?
- Can you provide a list of buildings that you have constructed in my county? Can I speak to the owners?
- Can I see buildings that were constructed 10 or more years ago? How have they “held up”?
- Does the price of the building include the following: permits, zoning fees, material taxes, delivery charges, construction labor, dumpster, toilet facilities during construction, builder’s insurance and safety equipment?
- Who is responsible for permits and zoning issues?
- Who do I contact for warranty issues and claims? (Is the warranty directly from the builder or is it a “pass through warranty” from the builder’s supplier?
- Is the building engineered specifically for my use and land conditions?
- What is the wind and snow load capacity of the building?
- What unique features add to the energy efficiency of your buildings? How does this compare to other builders?
- Who is accountable for the project timeline and any problems that occur?
- Tell me about the materials used in the building.
- Where, and by whom, are the materials made?
- Who delivers the materials? Will they be on-time and well cared for?
- Who constructs the building- employees or contracted labor?
- What kind of paint is used and what is the process?
- What is the thickness of the steel used?
- Is any of the work subcontracted?
- Are the subcontractors insured? Bonded?
- Are the construction crews insured and bonded? Can I see proof? Who is liable if a worker gets injured on my property?
- What kind of training do your construction crews receive? How many buildings a year do they construct for the company?